Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Simple Homemade Applesauce

Last week we went to the apple orchard. This week I had to find my kitchen counter, so I made some applesauce. I used Red Romas so I didn't have to add too much sugar (If you're use to no or low sugar, then you probably won't need to add any sugar to this either)


Makes 3 Quarts

10 Med Apples (I've used Red Roma and Pink Lady before)
1 1/2 Cup Water
2 Sticks of Cinnamon
Sugar to taste (I used less than 1/4 Cup)


1. Prepare your jars. Don't forget the lids!


2. Wash, core, peel, and slice all the apples. I LOVE my peeler/slicer!

3. Put apples and 1 1/2 Cup water in pot. Bring to boil and cook 15 minuets. Stir often
until all the apples are soft and the peels separate easily.

4. Transfer to food mill and press through. Make sure to use your little helpers! Return pressed apples to pot. Add 2 sticks of Cinnamon and sugar to taste. Cook for 5 more min.
5. Using a wide funnel, transfer to prepared jars. Add lid and band.
6. Return to canning pot and boil (Water at least 1 inch above jar lid) for 15 min.
7. Remove and place on dry towel. Do not disturb for 12 hours while jars seal.


For "Eat now" applesauce use these measurements and skip the canning:
3-4 Med Apples (I've used Red Roma and Pink Lady before)
1/2 Cup Water
1 Stick of Cinnamon
Sugar to taste

Both Rosey Posey and Bubee love helping with this. Rosey Posey helps peel and cut apples, and some of the milling. Bubee LOVES to help with the food press and feels so big. I usually give a jar to each married couple in the family for Christmas. If sealed properly the apple sauce is good for 24 months so don't forget to label the jars with a date.


Like this idea? Pin It!!


The above post(s) may contain affiliated links, product placements, etc. This is how I can afford to buy the supplies to bring you new activites. Thanks for your support!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...