Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Phonics Flip Cards

This summer I am working extra hard with Bubee and his reading. Meme came across this idea over at Kids Activity Blog and I knew I had to make one!! What a wonderful way to work on blends, sounds, and phonics. After I made it Bubee sat down with it and zoomed through the first word family. Yeay!!


  • Spiral bound set of index cards (I could only find these neon ones, but I think they worked better than plain white ones)
  • Sharpie marker (I liked this one with a fine tip and a regular tip)
  • Scissors


1. Cut the index cars about 1/3 from the left (This is better illustrated in the picture on the right) so that to have a smaller card on the left and larger card on the right. With regular scissors you can only cut through about 5 cards at a time, so use your previously cut card to line up the next one so that your cards will flip easily.

2. Write your word families on the cover and the right hand cards (This is why I loved having the fine tip sharpie for the cover and the regular tip for the cards). The list I used was: est, in, ock, ug, ack, ant, ick, ame, ide, ink, ate, ump, eat, ore, oil, op, ine, ice, ain, ank, at, ash, eep, ight, oke, unk, own, ing, and y.  You can use just about any word families that your child needs.

3. On the left hand cards write the blends and letters. I used: B, C, D, F, G, H, J, K, L, M, N, P, Qu, R, S, T, V, W, Y, Z, ab, ad, bl, cl, fl, gl, pl, sl, br, cr, dr, fr, gr, tr, th, sh, ch, wh, sch, sk, sn, sm, sp, st, str, sw, kn. Notice I did not use any vowels, or "X" and I used "Qu" instead of just "Q".

If I had it to do over I would NOT have capitalized the single letters,

but it still turned out nicely!


This is a great tool to use many ways. I have Bubee flip through and read to me while I'm working. It's so easy and great exercise!! This summer he has to give me 5 min in his flip cards before he can watch the TV and he doesn't even mind.


Like this idea? Pin it!!



Featured on:

Fabulously Frugal Thursday Linky Party #74

Pioneer Momma
The above post(s) may contain affiliated links, product placements, etc. This is how I can afford to buy the supplies to bring you new activites. Thanks for your support!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...