Thursday, September 26, 2013

Fun Fall Felt Coasters

Total Time: 1-2 hours
Approximate Cost: Less than $5

My mom sent me a picture of cute fall coasters, so I decided to make my own. I love these. My favorite part is if Little Lady gets them she can't break them or hurt herself like she can with our thirsty stones.
 Supplies:
  • 1 sheet each of felt: Orange, Yellow, Light Brown, Dark Brown
  • Embroidery Thread: Brown, Orange, Yellow
  • Scissors
  • Needle
  • 1 Strait Pin
  • Cardstock
Print the above pattern onto card stock. Cut then trace onto felt:
    • Dark Brown: 2 Acorn Back and 2 Acorn Top
    • Light Brown: 2 Acorn Bottom
    • Yellow: 2 Leaf and 1 Stem
    • Orange: 2 Leaf and 1 Stem

Cut pieces out. These are meant to be a little whimsical, fun and abstract, so you can always tweak them a little. I trimmed mine AFTER they were sewn together so they lined up better.

Use a strait pin to hold one acorn top and one acorn bottom together. Use an acorn back to line them up, but do not pin/sew the back together yet. Sew the top and bottom together using a 6 strand embroidery thread and a simple 1/4" stitch. I made one acorn with yellow thread and one acorn with orange thread to make them match the leaves.

Sew 3 'x's to the acorn top as shown above.


Sew the acorn back to the assembled front by stitching the perimeter. Once sewn you can trim the edges so they line up better.

Using brown thread sew contrasting stem to leaf (ie. Yellow stem on Orange leaf).


Sew the leaf of the same color to back. Trim the edges.


Make one more leaf and one more acorn. This whole project cost me $2 and I made a total of 8 coaster. This is easy enough that Rosey Posey (11) can make on her own and Bubee (5) can sew once I have them cut out. If you make some, please post pictures and tell me how yours turned out!


Like this idea?  Pin It!!!


The above post(s) may contain affiliated links, product placements, etc. This is how I can afford to buy the supplies to bring you new activites. Thanks for your support!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...